Saturday, December 11, 2010

Indiana Dunes

I really needed a beach trip. Bad. Unfortunately, our trip to Key West/Sanibel Island/Captiva/Wherever else a plane could get us was cancelled. Dang hurricanes can really make non-rev travel more difficult than it already is. Next best option in this fantastic place they call the Midwest...You got it, the Indiana Dunes. I had heard people talk about it, and since it was in our book of 1,000 Places to See Before you Die (trust me, I could have died without seeing it and I would have been A-Okay!), we thought we'd take a day trip. This quickly turned into a morning trip when we realized there was nothing to do there. We went on a quick little hike and spent a few minutes next to the water.



Note the sign. I'd say Larry and I have completed some seriously strenuous hikes (look up Captain Cook Trail in Kona). We are always prepared with plenty of water. This "hike" was a joke. Took us 5 minutes tops to complete it and make it to the "top" of "Mt. Baldy". I put these in quotations because seriously, all we could do was laugh. I'm not sure people out here, or whoever named this "mountain" has ever really seen a mountain.
Larry hiking up Mt. Baldy. I will admit, the sand was a great calf workout!

The view from the top. Might be nice if there wasn't a giant industrial area right there. Yuck! Way to ruin the view.


It was a little bright!




Trying to meditate and ignore the hideous building to the right of me blowing toxic smoke out of its smoke stack.



In front of the dunes. Oh, and the sand is trucked in. Yet another disappointment we learned while reading some signs on our walk. I meant hike.






The Chicago skyline way off there in the distance across Lake Michigan.

Seven Mile Beach on Cayman Islands


This is closer to what I had in mind when I thought of a day at the beach. Sorry Indiana Dunes, I have no love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment