On a sidenote, funny story about this little shop. I saw it off the side of the highway on our way to Shipshewana and convinced Larry that I just HAD to stop here on the way home. I adore all things Christmas and was really looking forward to spending hours browsing through ornaments and was really hoping to find my mini artificial palm tree (anybody know where to find one?!). After spending 30 minutes off the highway to get to this store (I'm thinking I need to contact Indiana's transportation board to suggest they make an exit directly to this shopping are), I was so unpleasantly surprised. This store was a mix of Michael's with a little specialty grocery store. Seriously, people?! Whoever was in charge of this store name, or furthermore, whoever is currently in charge of this marketing department and has not changed the name yet, needs to be fired! Maybe I need to make a call to Donald Trump? How do you name a store Christmas Tree Shops and not have ONE Christmas item. Oh, the disappoint I felt that day. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out how to get back that hour and fifteen minutes of my life. On a more positive note, Larry did find some Vermont maple syrup...He seems to think he's some sort of syrup connoiseur lately. Next up on my entrepreneural (and yes, this word I did make up) list...Creating a Christmas themed store that actually carries Christmas items. What a concept!
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Shipshewana
No, I didn't make up a word for my latest post title. Shipshewana was yet another one of our locations to visit on our quest to see as many places as possible from 1,000 Places to See Before you Die (USA and Canada version). It was only about a 2 hour drive each way, so we took a little day trip to Amish Country, Indiana. I loved everything about it...The giant flea market, loads of homemade goods and goodies (ask my cat about Amish pie...She loves it!). It was so interesting to see how just miles away from our urban lifestyle in Chicago, people are living in their own little world, circa 1850 (I swear that's what it felt like!). If you have never been to an Amish community, I urge you to find the closest one and GO! It was such a fun experience!
Modern-Day Amish on bikes instead of in buggies. I'm not so sure that's the safest way to transport your children, but they sure do look cute!
The typical view while driving down the street. I was shrieking with excitement each time I saw a buggy. I just think it's crazy that people still live this way. No internet, facebook, or blogging?! They have NO idea what they're missing out on!
One of the all so important locations to visit before I die. We purchased some yummy popcorn from this shop and I think we may have enough popcorn to last us for a year...If that's all we eat. This family run business that started in 1936 sells 250 million pounds of popcorn a year!
An Amish parking lot, seriously. This was the parking lot outside of the local hardware and feed shop.

On a sidenote, funny story about this little shop. I saw it off the side of the highway on our way to Shipshewana and convinced Larry that I just HAD to stop here on the way home. I adore all things Christmas and was really looking forward to spending hours browsing through ornaments and was really hoping to find my mini artificial palm tree (anybody know where to find one?!). After spending 30 minutes off the highway to get to this store (I'm thinking I need to contact Indiana's transportation board to suggest they make an exit directly to this shopping are), I was so unpleasantly surprised. This store was a mix of Michael's with a little specialty grocery store. Seriously, people?! Whoever was in charge of this store name, or furthermore, whoever is currently in charge of this marketing department and has not changed the name yet, needs to be fired! Maybe I need to make a call to Donald Trump? How do you name a store Christmas Tree Shops and not have ONE Christmas item. Oh, the disappoint I felt that day. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out how to get back that hour and fifteen minutes of my life. On a more positive note, Larry did find some Vermont maple syrup...He seems to think he's some sort of syrup connoiseur lately. Next up on my entrepreneural (and yes, this word I did make up) list...Creating a Christmas themed store that actually carries Christmas items. What a concept!
On a sidenote, funny story about this little shop. I saw it off the side of the highway on our way to Shipshewana and convinced Larry that I just HAD to stop here on the way home. I adore all things Christmas and was really looking forward to spending hours browsing through ornaments and was really hoping to find my mini artificial palm tree (anybody know where to find one?!). After spending 30 minutes off the highway to get to this store (I'm thinking I need to contact Indiana's transportation board to suggest they make an exit directly to this shopping are), I was so unpleasantly surprised. This store was a mix of Michael's with a little specialty grocery store. Seriously, people?! Whoever was in charge of this store name, or furthermore, whoever is currently in charge of this marketing department and has not changed the name yet, needs to be fired! Maybe I need to make a call to Donald Trump? How do you name a store Christmas Tree Shops and not have ONE Christmas item. Oh, the disappoint I felt that day. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out how to get back that hour and fifteen minutes of my life. On a more positive note, Larry did find some Vermont maple syrup...He seems to think he's some sort of syrup connoiseur lately. Next up on my entrepreneural (and yes, this word I did make up) list...Creating a Christmas themed store that actually carries Christmas items. What a concept!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment